The other night I made pesto from the basil at Trader Joe's. I'm not going to put up a recipes simply because I don't follow one myself. Just combine fresh basil, oil, pinenuts, garlic, salt and pepper together in a food processor and adjust to suit your taste. The above picture is penne with sauteed Italian hot sasuage. Here are some tips for making pesto:
- DO try other oils besides olive. I used this bottle of avocado oil from Whole Foods. Much more complex and satisfying than the cheap olive oil I use to cook.
- DO use a food processor or you can just chop the basil finely and crush the pinenuts
- DO have plenty of balsamic vinegar, salt, garlic and oil
- DO roast your garlic before crushing for a less intense flavor
- DO mix leftover pesto to mix with mayonnaise for a sandwich boost
- DON'T skimp on the basil; it should be your limiting ingredient.
- DON'T try to make pesto in a blender. Trust me, it just doesn't work.